Sunday 8 November 2015

It's a nightmare

I don't know if it's a symptom of anxiety or simply goes hand-in-hand with it, like strawberries and cream or methadone and a crippling heroin addiction, but I seem to suffer from an ungodly amount of nightmares.  I would assume it is not a symptom, as this has been a lifetime curse and anxiety has not, even if I have been of an uncommonly pathetic disposition since the day I was shot screaming from my mother's womb.

On the upside - if there is an upside to this - there doesn't seem too much Freudian grimness about them, because they're often concerned with the most generic of monsters.  Often witch-like things with hanging faces and rotting skin, which pursue me until, in dreaming, I consign myself to death and give myself over to the creatures.

Evidently I even take my cowardice with me to the dreamworld.  I'll likely still be frightened when I'm dead.

But of course, once I've woken I can't possibly return to sleep in case a monster pops out from under the bed or slithers down on me from the ceiling.  Once I was convinced one was staring at me from the wardrobe, and I was on the brink of tears until I switched on the lamp and realised it was just my straw hat propped at a jaunty angle.  This is not the first time that a straw hat has frightened me nearly to death, but that is a tale for another day.

Unfortunately, I think there's little I can do about them.  That said, I've lived with them for years with no terrible side effects, unless you count the debilitating mental problems, but I'm not sure I can exactly blame the nightmares for those.  Not sure I can really blame anything for those.  But if you have some sneaky trick for coping with nightmares, do let me know.  So far all I do is make sure the straw hat is safely tucked away.

Alarmingly, I do live quite near an 'Elm Street.'  I never go.

2 comments:

  1. 'Like strawberries and cream or methadone and a crippling heroin addiction.'

    'I have been of an uncommonly pathetic disposition since the day I was shot screaming from my mother's womb.'

    'I've lived with them for years with no terrible side effects, unless you count the debilitating mental problems.'

    These, right here, are my new favourite lines. I've nearly weed reading some of these. As an extremely anxious person myself, I can relate. I get a lot of nightmares too but haven't found a 'sneaky trick' I'm afraid. I'll let you know if I do.

    You do suit the name Cecil, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Morgan. My only regret is that I couldn't make you fully piss yourself, preferably on the train or outside a school.

      Well I'm usually told that Cecil is a 'poncey, old-fashioned name,' but I'm going to go ahead and assume you think of it more like James Bond.

      In which case, thank you. I do suit my name, don't I?

      Delete